July 11, 2010

Life And Dignity Of The Human Person

Hey all!! :)

So I am working on a talk to give tomorrow for our first day of Middle School Day Camp! I am so excited to be a leader for the 2nd year! :)

My talk is on the Catholic Social Teaching- Life and Dignity of the Human Person. Something that I feel pretty passionate about! Right now its hard for me beacause its hard to approach the subject with middle schoolers. I want to make sure they feel well respected for their age, and at the same time make this talk something they can understand and "relate" to. And Man is it tough!!!!!! I have no idea what I am going to say, right now Im givin' it to the Holy Spirit! Please speak through me as I write this out!

Some facts that I found, which made me sick to my stomach....

"There were 200,420 abortions among 15–19-year-olds in 2006.[9]
•Twenty-seven percent of pregnancies among 15–19-year-olds ended in abortion in 2006. [9]
•The reasons teens give most frequently for having an abortion are concern about how having a baby would change their lives, inability to afford a baby now and feeling insufficiently mature to raise a child.[14]
•As of January 2010, 34 states require that a minor seeking an abortion involve her parents in the decision.[15]
•Six in 10 minors who have abortions do so with at least one parent's knowledge. The great majority of parents support their daughter's decision to have an abortion.[16]"

How sad and heart-wretching is that?!? :( :( Oh goodness.... :(
I'd like to leave you these verses that I feel shows and gives proof to honoring the life and diginity of the human person...
"Then God said: "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness." Genesis 1:26
"God created man in his image; in the diving nimage he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 1:27

Please leave your comments and suggestions on his topic and my talk!! :) Greatly Appreciated!!

God Bless,
Ashley :)

1 comment:

Jessica S. said...

Wow this is really a deep subject! I applaude you for going at this with both feet in. The facts/stats are indeed startling. Did you know that a baby eagle is considered more valuable that a human life? It's true. If you kill a baby eagle, which is protected, you will get close to a $6,000 fine (not sure about the $$ value, but I think it's around there). But if you kill a human baby while in the uterus, there is no $$ fine. This fact is a complete 180 from the way the court system works in murder cases. If a person kills a pregnant woman, in the eyes of the courts, said killer is guilty of killing TWO people.

Hmmmmm....

Best wishes on your speech!! :)